Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tuesday, Doctor Day

As many of you may know, my "Doctor Day" changed a few weeks ago from Thursdays to Tuesdays. What this generally consists of is my paying my $30 co-pay to learn that I still have leukemia.

I also get my labs done each week. They also tell me I still have leukemia.

I am certainly not trying to knock my oncologist. There's just no magic left to make this all disappear. Today I asked her if she was sure I still had leukemia. If she was sure there was no way it would just go away. If she was sure there wouldn't be a new miracle drug in the next month. Nope. I'm still going to have a bone marrow transplant.

I was just checking.

My GOOD news is that for the first time, in a very long time, my platelet count is within normal limits. Now that is an accomplishment! This endeavor consisted of the gradual increase of my daily chemo doasge, starting at 500mg/day to now at 2,000mg/day.

Many of you have asked what exactly the chemo is for, if it's not to fight the leukemia. It was to control my run-away platelet counts, a part of the leukemia.

The other GOOD news is that my pain level has dropped as my platelet counts have dropped. Hooray! I like it!!!!

Unfortunately, it seems the higher the chemo dose, the more tired I am. Life seems to consist of energy, fatigue, energy, fatigue, and so on. Sometimes it drives me crazy because the more I sleep, the less I "live". But it's definitely better than the alternative, blood clots.

No comments: