Monday, January 12, 2009

It's Transplant Time!

Hurry up and wait. Hurry up and wait. Then, BOOM!

Last Thursday I found out that my donor search had been narrowed down to seven or so 10 of 10 point matches. A couple in the U.S. and the rest in Europe. That was pretty big news, knowing we were getting so close to “The One”.

Last Friday, I got “The Call”. My donor has been identified and it was time to schedule my transplant!

Holy smokes! After knowing it was coming, and waiting and wondering, it is now a reality. My donor is a 44 year old male living in the U.S. I won’t be able to know anything more about him until the one year anniversary of my transplant. But you have to figure he can’t be an ass if he’s in the National Marrow Donor Registry and ready to give part of himself to help save a stranger’s life. I can communicate anonymously for now, and I have already written my first letter. Mr. Wonderful, whoever you are, wherever you are, THANK YOU. You have offered me hope that I can and will beat this disease. (I also have a back-up donor in Europe.)

My Arrival Date, which is what it is actually called, is Tuesday, February 10, 2009, at 11:15 a.m. My start at Registration puts it all in motion. Then bloodwork, medical history review, and clinic orientation. The next day is a huge meeting with my attending. The third day is bone marrow biopsy day (Yuck).

Then, until February 23, my days will consist of a cornucopia of tests and meetings with several departments. From dental to gyn. Pharmacy to finance. Scans and function tests. Social work. The whole gamut to see how messed up I really am, all the way around. The nice part is 1. At least this time I will know what I am dealing with going in and 2. I get evenings and weekends off.

After all my tests are complete and all the data is reviewed, there is a big conference to make final decisions on treatment plans and consent to be given. I am guessing that since no one would ever want to have to do this, it’s a pretty hard signature to write.

On approximately February 25th, my central line will be surgically inserted. Then with a day off to rest and take a huge gulp, “Conditioning” begins. The plan is to remain outpatient February 27 through March 2 during the first phase. Then I will go inpatient to finish the final Conditioning stage through March 5.

The “Big Day” is March 6, 2009, (03-06-09), when my donor’s marrow will be infused into me. This is the day that in transplant world is my new birthday. It will hold milestones and miracles. And it is also Day 1.

The goal of Conditioning is to destroy my body’s ability to make its own blood-making cells. Because of my freaky genetic change, I need to get rid of, as well as prevent further existence of, mine. The hope is that because although it is an unrelated donor, we are matched 10 of 10, and that my body will accept his transplanted marrow and begin to recognize it as my own as well as allow it to continue to make new cells. This is my layperson’s explanation of “Engraftment”. Within Day 7 to Day 30, if it’s going to “take”, it will. A successful engraftment means that my body will slowly begin to make new blood cells on its own.

After a sturdy engraftment, I will go outpatient again until at least Day 100. If everything goes swimmingly, I may be able to come home mid-June.

Wow.

I share with you my awe that my donor is out there, ready to go through some pretty uncomfortable business, to help save a life. I share with you the relief to know that he exists, as well as his buddy in Europe. I share with you the incredible blessing to even have a donor, to even have the resources to get a transplant. I am really, really fortunate.

I also open my breaking heart to you. I am so afraid. I want every last touch, every last look, a longer goodbye…… I just want more. It feels as though I am much on the countdown to death, for it is pretty much where the Conditioning must take me in order to save me. And I know there is another side, whether it’s engraftment or the REAL other side.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is bittersweet.

I had needed a few days to kind of take it all in before sharing. I’ll soon write more details about living arrangements in Seattle, transportation, childcare arrangements, caregiver arrangements, visitors, arranging to come back home, longterm issues and recuperation, and a million more details that Type A Me feels the need to cover when going on a four to five month adventure. And the unpleasant but significant possibility of the Big Trip with no return. I share this with you to be truthful and thorough on what lies ahead. They do give “Death Window” dates of when things if they are to go horribly wrong, are most likely to do so. That harsh reality is there. I’m thinking if I just keep my eyes closed and duck, I should probably be in pretty good shape.

Cheers to the future! And to Mr. Wonderful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are strong....you will survive:)

Angie said...

Yes!!! Sally, this is so exciting. Please let David and I know what we can do, besides continue to keep you and the fam in our prayers.
Much love!!!
~Angie