Monday, November 3, 2008

Financial Resources-Some Answers to Your Questions

Some of you have been kind enough to suggest different avenues to pursue to seek financial resources. And many of you have asked if I have already tried other methods, ie. already established resources, to gain financial assistance. So I thought I would write a little about the avenues that I know of. But PLEASE continue to pass along any and all suggestions. Anything and everything helps!

First of all, I do have a great number of different organization websites, phone numbers, and names that I am contacting. Needless to say, it takes time to do this. If anyone wants to volunteer to help, just let me know!

Anyways, I am aware of many out there that have programs that can help. For example, there are is a travel reimbursement program, up to $500 per year. However it covers mileage reimbursement and airfare only. There is also a copay assistance program, where one can submit receipts for reimbursement. I am already participating in them. One does have to pay out-of-pocket first and then be reimbursed.

Some other programs are income-based, which we miss by a small margin. Other we miss by more. Sadly, we have talked about the benefits of getting divorced simply so I would qualify. But by this route I would also lose my health insurance and become very limited by the doctors I could see due to being on state and federal medical. Plus I could no longer live with my family to qualify for benefits as a single person.

I have many, many other programs to inquire about and some I already know to apply for. There are small grants available in some situations and I am hopeful to be able to tap into some. But the big picture, to the best of my knowledge, is that there is nowhere to access "big" money to close my gap. But rest assured that I will contact and research every last lead.

I am seeing, to my amazement, an incredible grass roots effort take place. Many of you have passed along my story and message to your distribution lists and groups in which you are involved. Thank you for accepting my challenge to do so. IT IS WORKING!

No comments: