Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Miscellaneous Sally Update

I got a haircut last week. My first in about a year. (I did have my q-tip look cleaned up once.) I have explained to Craig that I have saved us quite a bit of money on haircuts and styling supplies. Apparently, my savings pale to my net medical expenses....

I've learned a little more about my Social Security Disability status. I got a letter on Saturday stating that I will need to be examined by their doctor(s) before a decision on my appeal can be made. I remain amazed that this is even necessary, but of course will comply. It's odd to think that I apparently must convince their doctor(s) that I really have leukemia and really am sick. I also found out that a person doesn't receive Medicaire until two years after their approved date of eligibility. That's crazy!

Speaking of crazy, I continue to make progress in my behavioral health. I am actually really proud of how far I have come.

I saw the oncologist yesterday. My counts are moving fast, and not in the direction I want. I knew my body was changing. I felt it. My fatigue has turned to complete exhaustion and I am hurting more. So in a way, I was prepared to hear it. On the other hand, I wish it wasn't happening so quickly.

What it means in a practical sense is that I now must try the second-line chemo drugs. As in NOW. Because of their large expense (approximately $4,000 per month), the pharmacies don't stock them and so it has been ordered. It should be in Wednesday or so. Keep your fingers crossed and the prayers going that I will both tolerate it and that it will be effective. It is my last buffer to the transplant.

How do I feel about it? Scared. I also am really, really hoping and willing it to work. It would be a HUGE time-buyer for me, in addition to getting me out of this critical stage.

I am really excited for my Godmother and Mom to come to visit. They both arrive on Friday. Girl time!

No comments: