Thursday, April 30, 2009

GVHD rears its ugly head

This is Casey, reporting (once again), from the hospital. Last week we got off with a slap on the wrist, but the situation really did not improve. The nausea and headache were kept between "barely tolerable" and "tolerably horrible" and, well, after another four days or so, Sally began having some issues with vomiting. The first instance was just twice in a night (Tuesday night), but the following afternoon became intense and we brought her to the hospital to receive medication through her central line (Wednesday night). Hoping she was stabilized we brought her home, but when I went in to wake her this morning she said the vomiting had returned. So we were guests at the clinic all day, but we realized and agreed - nurse, doctor, myself, and Sally - that she was not improving and that she needed to be hospitalized.

So, we've been here for a few hours and she seems to be resting semi-comfortably. What we are hoping is that the GVHD (which is the principal cause of the nausea and vomiting) can be quickly treated using Prednizone (sp.?), an oral steroid which Sally had originally resisted taking due to side effects, but is now resigned to as her best hope to feel as better as possible, as soon as possible. However, we first need to get her nausea and intense head pain under control, and that, for the moment, can only be done through her central line - hence, the hospital. The doctor says he believes she will need 2 to 3 nights in order to feel well enough to go home and continue treatment orally.

I will try to update you in a few days or so. For the moment (as has been the case for the past several days), she is sleeping/dozing A LOT and is unlikely to be able to take phone calls. Thank you to those of you who have sent postcards, cards, letters, and gifts - your kind thoughts and words are very much appreciated.


Anonymous said...

I hope she feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

We are all thinking of you and wishing you strength. We love you.
Donna Higgins