Monday, November 7, 2011

Four Year Anniversary

Tomorrow is the four year anniversary of my final lumpectomy. I remember quite vividly waiting for the results. It was always an uneasy few days waiting to hear what the pathology report held for me.

Four years ago this Thursday, November 10, was a Saturday. Craig was off at a friend's house with the boys. The phone rang at about 10:00 a.m., the caller id showing the name of the clinic where my surgeon practiced. I remember knowing that as I reached out my hand to answer the phone that my life would never be the same again. I considered not answering, as if doing so would prevent cancer. But when your surgeon calls you two days after a surgery, on a Saturday morning, you know there is a problem.

He was very cautious and caring with his words. But the bottom line was the same. Cancer cells, a tumor, had been found. I had cancer.

So it may seem strange to you that I keep track of these anniversaries. But each day/event was a "before and after" moment. There is before cancer and after cancer. It delineates what was versus what is. It dictates much of who I am today.

Cancer sucks.

No comments: